Note- Click the blue buttons on the image to be directed to the relevant product.
The Cinema & Studio Ceiling Soundproofing System offers the ultimate level in sound isolation. We use only the densest of materials in the build-up of this soundproofing system such as our M20 Soundproofing Mat and 18mm cement boards. The Cinema & Studio Ceiling Soundproofing System also utilises the MuteClip Resilient Bar System which is fixed to timber joists or battens.
Please Note- This guide is written with the assumption that you have moderate knowledge and experience in construction or joinery.
- This system can either be mounted directly onto a concrete ceiling with timber battens or a timber joist ceiling.
- If the system is to be mounted onto timber joist remove the plaster and plasterboard to expose the timber stud.
- If using this system on a concrete ceiling first measure up the ceiling and mark out locations for the battens.
- Apply 5mm Resilient Sealing Tape to the side of the timber that will be in direct contact with the concrete.
- Ensuring the timber is at appropriate centres, securely anchor the timber to the ceiling.
- If there is currently none in place, fit mineral wool between the joists or timber battens, ensuring the mineral wool doesn’t sit beyond the edge of the timber frame. It should be friction held between the studs.
- On the timber joists or battens measure up, mark out and fit the correct locations for the MuteClips. The perimeter MuteClips must be no further than 100mm from the adjacent surfaces. The channels are to be spaced out a maximum of 400mm apart. The centres for the MuteClips are to vary between 400mm and 1200mm depending on the centres of the joists or battens. Create a diamond configuration.
- Attach the MuteClip Channels into the MuteClips.
- MuteClip Channels must overlap by 200m if necessary, fix 4 self-tapping screws into the shoulders of the Channels to maintain a secure join.
- The Channels must not overlap on a MuteClip. The Channels can be cut to length with Metal shears or a hacksaw.
- Fix your 18mm SilentBoard to the MuteClip Channels ensuring you leave a 5mm gap around the perimeter of the ceiling. Additionally ensure the screws aren’t so long that they touch the timber.
- Seal the perimeter of the ceiling with AC95 Acoustic Sealant using a caulking gun.
- Attach M20 Soundproofing Panels to the 18mm SilentBoard using Advanced Acoustics Contact Adhesive ensuring you have a good bond between the mat and the SilentBoard. Leave a 5mm gap around the perimeter of the ceiling
- Seal the perimeter of the ceiling with AC95 Acoustic Sealant
- Fix the layer of 15mm Acoustic Plasterboard. Maintain the 5mm gap from the adjacent surfaces. Ensure that the screws are long enough to fix to the MuteClip Channel but not so long that they touch the timber.
- Seal the 5mm gap with AC95 Acoustic Sealant.
- Scrim tape the plasterboard joints and finish with a plaster skim.
- MuteClip Channel must not be installed over any opening or vent in the ceiling. To overcome this, install a MuteClip and Channel section either side of the opening or vent to support the weight of the system.
System Thickness - Approx 100mm plus thickness of timber.
Battens to Concrete - Anchor Bolt
MuteClip to Battens or Joists - 5mm x 60mm Coarse Thread Wood
SilentBoard to Channel - 35mm Fine Thread Dry Wall Screw
Plasterboard to Channel - 75mm Fine Thread Dry Wall Screw
MuteClip Channel Overlap - 20mm Steel Self-Tapping Screw